I was first elected to the La Mesa City Council in November of 2016.
On the City Council, my priorities have been housing affordability, public safety, and open government. You can read more about what I’ve done on my “Working for La Mesa” page.
I live in La Mesa, just east of the Village in a small historic home. I’m a native to East County, and I graduated from Valhalla High School and Fuerte Elementary. I earned my Eagle Scout badge with the local Troop 362.
La Mesa was always a part of growing up, whether it was skating at Aquarius, learning ballroom dance at Mr. Benjamin's, or celebrating birthdays in Collier Park. My first job in high school was with the East County Economic Development Council on La Mesa Blvd., less than a mile from where I live today.
I graduated from UC San Diego, and earned my law degree at NYU School of Law. My professional career began in private practice at DLA Piper, representing large local clients like Qualcomm. I also worked as pro bono counsel for veterans through the San Diego Homeless Court Program, and for the League of Conservations Voters San Diego.
I joined the Jerry Brown for Governor Campaign in 2010. I was appointed by Governor Brown to serve in his administration, where I worked on policy for affordable housing and economic development.
Currently I serve as the Executive Director and General Counsel at Circulate San Diego, advocating for public transit, safe walkable streets, greenhouse gas reduction, and affordable homes.
As an advocate, I have delivered for the region:
- I won a campaign to transform empty MTS parking lots into affordable homes, and it is showing real results.
- I led a successful campaignfor the local transit agency to update their troubled Compass Card fare payment system.
- I organized a successful and bi-partisan coalitionto win incentives for building affordable homes near transit.
Civic engagement is very important to me. I co-founded La Mesa Conversations, a local forum for La Mesa residents to share their opinions on matters of local importance. I also co-founded the San Diego Leadership Alliance to train young professionals throughout the region to be involved with civic life.
Over the last few years, I have had the honor of serving my community in a number of capacities, and have won several recognitions:
- Former chairperson of the League of Conservation Voters’ annual environmental report card
- Former Board member of the La Mesa Foothills Democratic Club
- Co-Founder and Former Steering Committee member for La Mesa Conversations
- Former Ex Officio Board member of the San Diego County Young Democrats
- Appointed member of the City of San Diego’s Climate Action Plan Implementation Working Group
- Named San Diego Metropolitan magazine’s 40 Under 40
- Named one of the San Diego Daily Transcript’s Top Young Attorneys
- Named one of the San Diego Transcript's 40 Under 40 business professionals
- Profiled by the Union Tribune (2013)
- Profiled by San Diego CityBeat
- Profiled by the Union Tribune (2019)