When I ran for City Council, I promised that I would not slow down for La Mesa. In the past four years, I’ve worked hard for my constituents. Below are a few examples of how I work for you:
- Voted to create La Mesa’s Public Safety Oversight Task Force.
- Secured a unanimous Council vote for the City of La Mesa to engage an outside review of our response to the civil disturbances in May 2020.
- Voted to put a timeline for the Public Safety Oversight Task Force to complete their work.
- Strongly supported public safety workers with good pay and benefits.
- Co-authored La Mesa’s Affordable Homes Bonus Program, our first city-wide affordable housing program.
- Co-authored legislation to make it much easier for La Mesa homeowners to invest with granny flats in their backyards.
- Lead the development of a city-owned parcel into mixed-income affordable homes.
- Led the fight at SANDAG for the region to plan for enough homes to meet actual need.
- Created a Citizen’s Homelessness Task Force.
- Secured La Mesa’s membership with the Regional Taskforce on the Homeless.
- Led the fight to save the Farmer’s Market on La Mesa Boulevard.
- Created a new program to fund activities in the La Mesa Village.
- Voted to support storefront improvement program in West La Mesa.
- Adopted La Mesa’s Climate Action Plan, recognized by the Sierra Club.
- Secured grant funding to update land use rules at under-utilized MTS parking lots.
- Voted to join San Diego Community Power to move La Mesa to 100 percent clean energy.
Streets and Roads
- Co-authored a Vision Zero commitment to end traffic fatalities on our streets.
- Partnered with the La Mesa Police Department to receive new funding for Safe Routes to School programs.
- Revamped the Traffic Commission into a more inclusive Mobility Commission.
- Reprogramed pedestrian signals during COVID to allow for street crossing without touch buttons.
Equality and Access to Government
- Moved all council meetings to 6 PM so that people with 9-to-5 work schedules can participate in government.
- Successfully pushed for staff to stream meeting live online and on Facebook.
- Updated La Mesa policy to have the Pride flag raised during every Pride Month.
- Secured an open and public process to select our latest City Manager, breaking from La Mesa’s tradition of secrecy.
- I was the first Councilmember to support medial cannabis for those who need it.
- Supported the ballot measure to tax adult use cannabis for the first time.
- Faithfully implemented the voter-approved Measure U, to allow for safe and regulated cannabis.
- Voted for increased funding to the City Attorney to crack down on illegal dispensaries operating without permits.